Underarm waxing is relatively easier and more convenient than tweezing and shaving. When waxing, you pull the hair from the follicle directly in a couple of strokes. And you don’t have to worry about thicker hair growth in the future. It’s one of the easiest ways to remove unwanted hair on the body. But what else do you need to know about underarm waxing?
Before You Wax Underarm Hair
If this is your first time waxing your underarm hair, it is important to note some preparation procedures before the session.
The Waxing Process
Before you begin, you should first understand how underarm waxing works and what is needed to perform it. You may have a technician or waxing services to do it or you can wax your underarms on your own using an at-home waxing kit. Here’s how underarm waxing works.
- 1First, your underarm is prepped by cleaning it and adding powder to remove sweat and oil on your skin. This allows the wax to cling better on the fine hairs when armpit waxing.
- 2Next, you will need to use wax that is specifically designed for underarm skin. Most underarm waxing products can be used on other body parts, but it is best to check the label to see if it’s meant for the armpits.
- 3Others will label it as underarm wax. Some waxes are designed for finer hairs or sensitive skin like for the face. Those would not work well with armpit hair.
- 4Others are designed for thicker hair like pubic hair as is the case for a Brazilian wax or a bikini wax. Some waxes are used for body waxing larger surfaces such as the back and torso as well.
- 5Then, your skin will be stretched out by putting the waxing arm above your head. This is also helpful for full coverage so that you can see all the hair that needs to be removed.
- 6The next step is the waxing process, where the hot wax, cold wax, gum wax, or hard wax is applied to the hair. It is then pulled against the hair growth to maximize the force that pulls the hair directly out of the hair follicles.
- 7Lastly, you or the technician will apply special products from the waxing salon that will disinfect and moisturize the area to avoid infection and ingrown hair.
Types of Waxing Products
When waxing, you need to know which product is best for which body part and why. Here are the most common examples and some new ones that were developed for special waxing needs.
1. Soft wax
This is the most common type of wax because it is readily available in most beauty departments and drug stores. It is sold in the form of wax strips or in a container than comes with an applicator and waxing strips.
It is useful for underarm hair removal because it is convenient and easy to use.
2. Hard wax
Hard wax, also known as warm wax, is used for fine hair because it adheres strongly to the hair shaft. It is used mostly for areas like the face and upper lip.
It can also be used on other parts of the body where hair removal is difficult, like bikini waxing the groin.
3. Sugar wax
It is not technically wax, but is named so because of its purpose. It is usually made out of sugar, water, and lemon juice.
The ingredients are meant to relax the skin and disinfect it as well.
4. Gum wax
Gum wax is fairly new and is more pliable than the previous wax types. It is reusable, which means that one glob of gum wax can remove all the hair from one area of the body, like the arms, legs, back, etc. However, it is not meant to be used again in future sessions. It is also easier to remove.
How long should armpit hair be to wax it?
Armpit hair should be at least 5 millimeters long before you can get your hair waxed. If it is thicker, you should trim it down to around 10 millimeters or whichever length you ae comfortable with.
Bear in mind that the longer the hair, the more painful it will be. It will also increase the chances of the hair breaking off.
If it is thicker, you may want to grow it to around 10 millimeters to ensure that the wax can pull it from the follicle.
How long does underarm waxing last?
Underarm waxing, depending on the products, can prevent hair growth from two to four weeks. Some post-waxing products are designed to lessen hair growth. Even if the hair grows back immediately, you will hardly notice it because it is softer and thinner.
If you are waxing your underarms for the first time, you may expect the same thickness when the hair grows back. However, the more you get waxing treatments, the thinner it grows back.
Here is an underarm waxing video:
Underarm Waxing Benefits
Underarm waxing is a simple process, but it has a lot of benefits. These benefits are meant to make the most out of the hair removal process without the many complications that come with other hair removal procedures like laser hair removal, epilation, shaving, and tweezing.
- 1Less ingrown hair. It lessens the chances of ingrown hairs because of the precautions taken before and after the waxing process.
- 2Less hair breakage. It also prevents cutting of hair, like when shaving, which promotes thicker hair growth.
- 3Efficient hair removal. It lessens the time it takes to remove unwanted hair, unlike when tweezing.
- 4Less painful area. It is less painful than other forms of waxing like leg, face, bikini area, and Brazilian waxes.
- 5Hair grows back slower. Because hair is pulled from the root, the stimulation of hair re-growth can be slower because the hair needs to be reproduced.
Underarm Waxing Cons
Even though underarm waxing is convenient, sometimes a trip to the salon isn’t worth it, especially when you cannot stand the disadvantages of waxing.
1. Dark underarms
When using warm wax consistently, the heat can cause damage to the skin.
It can make it dry and flaky, which leads to underarm darkening because of the microinjury it sustains during the process.
Because of this, you’ll need to use a whitening product like Divine Derriere a few days after you wax to prevent your underarms from darkening.
Not all technicians, especially newbies who DIY their underarm waxing, can safely apply wax without burning the skin. There is a specific temperature for different types of waxes that you must look up before using on your skin. It is also important to follow the instructions to the letter to avoid applying hot wax before your skin is ready for it.
3. Painful process
We can’t deny that waxing is painful. Not everyone has a numbing cream on hand whenever they need it. So, it is best to understand that there will be some pain when you wax. The least painful form of hair removal you can use is shaving, which has more disadvantages than waxing, such as stubble, ingrown hair, thicker hair re-growth, and more.
4. More expensive than other forms of hair removal
Waxing is not sustainable because you cannot reuse old wax. You must dispose of it properly all the time. If you go to a salon, you are also paying for the labor and not just the wax. Consider waxing only if you have the budget for it; however, it is more affordable than laser hair removal.
5. Can cause complications
When waxing is not done properly, your skin can experience complications such as infection. It is also a bit dangerous because the area is so close to the lymph nodes, which may cause axillary swelling. When this happens, consult your doctor.
Underarm Waxing Aftercare
After you wax your underarms, it is important to follow the aftercare steps properly. This helps you avoid complications and side effects of waxing that you do not want.
1. Use an antibacterial cream after waxing
2. Keep the area dry.
3. Exfoliate your underarms the day after
4. Check for any complications
This will prevent any infections and protect the skin from bacteria after your waxing session.
This will prove to be a little difficult because of the location of the waxing.
Try to keep your underarms dry by dabbing it with tissue whenever you feel sweaty.
It is also best not to shower for 4-6 hours after any waxing session.
Wetting the are can cause infections, especially if it’s from a main water line.
This will help prevent ingrown hairs from developing.
If you see any, leave it alone. Just continue to exfoliate twice a week.
This will soften the skin, prevent dark underarms, and remove unwanted ingrown hair.
Ask yourself and check your skin. Does it hurt?
Is it red? Is there swelling? Is the answer is yes, consult your dermatologist and see if you had a negative reaction or a burn.
The process of waxing is easy and so is the aftercare. But if you want to take it up a notch, here are some tips to keep your underarm clean, smooth, and ingrown hair-free.
- 1Moisturize the area.
Yes, this can moisten the area as well, but it helps if you put deodorant after. Moisturizing helps keep the skin smooth and prevents darkening. It also prevents ingrown hair.
- 2Use tea tree oil.
Just a dab will do. This will prevent any infection in the future and will also help keep your skin healthy.
- 3Use numbing cream before waxing if you really can’t take the pain.
There are over the counter creams that are used for pain relief that you can use on your underarms. You can also use it on other areas on your next waxing session.
Underarm waxing has its pros and cons, but the good thing about it is that you won’t have to worry about quick hair regrowth. It is efficient and convenient when done the right way. It is also more effective when you use the best underarm wax brands that allow for proper waxing and less complications. So, what do you think of the guide? Do you have anything else to add? Let us know!
Leave a Reply